Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Monday, June 16, 2008

New TOY and an EMERGENCY!

For pre-Father's Day (no I am not announcing anything) I got Craig a new BBQ. We have been wanting a new one b/c all we have is a teany little round one that sits on the floor. So I have been looking at them for a while and of course I wanted a nice Gas Grill and Craig has been saying that he wanted a CHARCOAL grill because it TASTES better. So, to be a nice wife I found a cool looking charcoal grill and purchased it for him. He was excited about it (I gave it to him on Saturday because we needed to put it together before our big family BBQ on Sunday...My parents came down and Tara, Jon, and Allie came over too).
(not the best pics but the one of him smiling and looking was way washed out and I couldn't fix it)
Anyway, Craig and I put it together Sunday morning before church (but after some yummy cinnamon rolls for breakfast) and it looked great and we couldn't wait for our BBQ. We went to church and then everyone came over to our house afterwards. We had some yummy snacks (chips and spinach dip, strawberries, apples and fruit dip {cream cheese and marshmallow whip}) Then we started up the barbecue. The boys were watching the Basketball game, Allie was watching a movie on the computer and Mom, Tara, and I were cooking and talking in the kitchen. (mom sorry I don't have any pictures of you...maybe Tara does)

So Craig went out to check on the meat and it needed some more coals so he put them on and not thinking that the old coals would light the new ones he put more lighter fluid on and re-lit it. The flames SHOT BACK AT HIM and it burnt his hand and singed off his arm hair on BOTH arms and one leg. No one else saw it but it is a miracle that it did not catch his clothes on fire because the flames flew back at him and he threw his arm back...I found the lighter on the other side of the patio. So Craig came in saying his had is burning...we put it under water and he said it was burning a lot. So I took him to the ER and since it was a burn they took him right in while I gave them all his information and signed the papers. So instead of barbecuing tri-tip Craig barbecued his hand.

Craig has 2nd degree burns on the top part of his right hand and the tip of his thumb. The ER doctors dressed his wounds and got us out of there after giving him a vicadin and waiting for a long time (4 different people came in and looked at his hand, why? I don't know). We got home at 10pm and our guests were still here...they of course finished the BBQ and ate. But it was nice that they waited up for us, especially with Mom and Dad having to drive home. Needless to say it was a father's day that we will never forget!

(pictures of everyone chillin while Craig and I were at the ER)
After everyone left I went to Walgreens to get the prescriptions filled and buy gauze to re-rap his wounds, and when I got home Brent and Kiel gave Craig a blessing, which was so nice. Then Craig went to bed and we set the alarm for when he could take his meds again so he wouldn't wake up in pain. He slept pretty well and then slept in until noon (I made him get up and have breakfast in the morning then back to bed). He is doing a lot better as of now. He is even off the pain meds right now (we will see how long that lasts). I just redressed his wounds and it is starting to blister but its looking good. Hopefully he will want to BBQ some day again...if not maybe I'll try and learn.

8 comments:

Gramma Stewie said...

Ohhhh and how scary it was! He was such a 'tuff guy'....never a yelp, or anything! If it were me, I would have been crying big time. I felt soooo terrible for Craig. To confirm he is a tuff guy...when they came home, he was smiling! Craig always has such a good attitude about things!

Of course I wish it never happened, but since it did, I am very grateful that it was not worse than it was.

We are so glad we stayed until you guys got home from ER. Dad said a group prayer for Craig while you were at the ER. So GLAD to hear the boys gave him a blessing also! That is the best....

Used bar-b-que (one time) for sale yet? j/k

I know you are taking good care of your patient, Cyndi. Craig take it easy...now you have time to brainstorm and analyze things...stuff that takes time (that nobody has). You can 'think' all you want...just don't try to 'take notes' (ouch).

Tricia said...

Poor Craig! I guess you'll be selling the new BBQ and getting a gas grill?!?! I'm so glad he is ok. I have heard that Father's Day is one of the biggest BBQ days with emergency visits! I guess Craig is now a statistic. Take it easy Craig and enjoy the down time.

Conlin Family said...

I'm sorry to hear about the burn and poor Craig seems to be so accident prone (sp?). I'm glad he's doing better and that it wasn't any worse than it was. I'm sure he won't give up on the grilling! Good Father's Day present by the way and since you already cleared up that you weren't making an announcement I won't ask.
I hope everything is going well with the business! Tell everyone hi for me.
Love ya

THE SAWYER FAM said...

Ouch... not a good day for you guys. I'm just glad that it wasn't worse. Maybe you'll be using the stovetop for awhile huh? I bought Bryce a BBQ for his birthday and I hardly ever mess with it. I'm afraid that I'll do something stupid and burn down the house! Anyway, take good care of that hand! Good luck next time with the BBQ!

Monson Family said...

That is SO tragic!!! Poor Craig! How scary!!!! I am so glad he is okay! Other than the tragedy, it sounds like a fun FUN time!!!!

zdiggity said...

Holy Cow! Sounds like a crazy day! Hopefully Craig is doing alright. Take good care of him.

The Anderson's said...

Dude... what in the world was that about? Craig... your hand isn't that good, just trust me! Well, I will have you know we are looking to getting a BBQ ourselves but that might have just scared us RIGHT away! I hope you get better dude. Cyndi, keep up the great posts.

Sharon said...

I hope Craig's hand is healing quickly. I know he wasn't taking pain meds the day or 2 after the burn; so that's good. Cyndi, you are so good at taking care of Craig! I don't worry about him or you; cause I know he takes good care of you as well. I miss ya'll!